Friday, July 22, 2011

Best surprise, EVER.

Last weekend we had a surprise 50th wedding reception for my parents. My 8 siblings and I have been planning this since the beginning of June and it has been SO much fun! Here is the invite that we secretly sent out to hundreds of people.

I can't wait to post pictures of the night!

We started the day off with taking them to dinner at Mi Ranchitos, their favorite Mexican place. We surprised them with a cruise to the Bahamas--for January. They thought that was the only surprise :D They were so tearful and so grateful. I've never seen them so touched in their whole lives! As I watched them open up the card and tearfully hug each other, I felt such a gratefulness in my heart for their example. 50 years is such a long time, and they have really been great parents. They've been through so much...and I just felt overwhelmed with love for them. Through tears, my mom said, "I bet no parent ever received such a generous gift from their children!"


We all winked at each other and said, "The night has only begun...." ;)

We spent the next hour getting family pictures done at my parents house by my good friend, Shannon Hadden, and then we headed to a "fake" Eagle Court of Honor we had 'planned' for my nephew, Jordan. Little did they know that the "Court of Honor" was a special wedding reception we had set up, in their 'honor'.

As we walked into the reception, I couldn't help but tear up. It was the BEST thing on earth to see the look on their faces. We had invited all of their friends and some family members even traveled long distances to attend. It was literally, to date, the best day of my life. I have NEVER had so much fun planning something! It was amazing.

My sister Shelley and I created a 100 page digital scrapbook on Shutterfly of a compilation of memories of their 50 years together. 
We also had these pictures playing throughout the night on a slide show. I snuck into my mom's house while she was at work for two weeks and scanned 600 pictures for our project! Here are a few of my most favorite pictures from the book...



I loved finding pictures for the book of our parents spending time with us. This is my favorite of my mom and I. It's a total treasure to me!

The best thing that came out of preparing this was that I realized that I have NEVER seen my parents fight. They have the best marriage, ever! I feel so blessed to say that!

In the midst of scanning pictures, I found a TON of my sister Shari and I together. These are my most favorite! :D
 
Along with coming to the realization that I had the best parental examples growing up, I realized that I have the best brothers and sisters (and extended family) one could ever hope for! I'm so blessed!

 





More pictures of the reception to come, as soon as I get my hands on them!



6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

It sounds like you guys are the best kids ever! I love the pics of you as a little girl! Super duper cute!!!

KickButtMommy said...

Oh my gosh I love you guys! Happy Anniversary to your parents. What a phenomenal thing you all pulled off. Can't wait to see the pictures. I love that you have never seen your parents fight. AMAZING!

Traci said...

wow! what a sweet post about ur parents! 50 years, so awesome! what a neat evening u had planned cruise and all! i don't think i knew u had 7 other siblings!!

Pyatt said...

I loved reading this post!! What an amazing night for your family!! I am going to file that away for my own parents...what an amazing idea!!! I loved seeing those old pictures!!! So cute and congrats to your parents!

The Hunzikers said...

Oh my gosh, Karen. This post seriously made me tear up. So, so, so sweet! What a lucky girl to have grown up in such an amazing family.

Jenny Hatch said...

Wowzers! Karen that was spectacular. Obviously a cherrished event for everyone.

Oh that little picture of you and your sister in the snow...the one with yo in the yellow coat. LOVE. it. Makes me laugh out loud. Darling.