Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On the mend

Recently found out I have 'Femoro-Acetabular Impingement Syndrome'. An abnormality on my femur bone caused some major tears in my hip labrum. Who knew? I've been suffering from this since last July, and just recently had hip surgery to correct it. Doctors said it was worse that what they thought, and were not able to sutcher the tears, but were able to resection the hip labrum. In addition to my 2 small scope scars, I've also been given a nice 3-4" slice on my left hip. There they had to reshape my femur bone so that it won't cause any more tearing.

Lovely!

I was so lucky to have a student teacher who took over my class for the remaining weeks of school. My life was saved! :) Thank you for the many people who came to my aid and have been a huge part in my recovery. I've got a couple of months ahead to just 'let the dust settle', as the doctors put it, in hopes that I will once again be able to do the things I love.

Here are some snapshots of my day, May 10th.
 

A few of my supporters (thanks, sissies!!)


 Minutes before surgery I was thinking...what in the crap did I get myself into??


What the weird? Why on earth traction needs to be on both the top and the bottom of these hospital socks is beyond me....


The first thing I said to my friend when I came out of the recovery room was, "We really should have gotten some Oreos". What the? Where'd that come from? HA


Um....this was my nurse. We nicknamed her, "The Porn Star Nurse". No, she wasn't wearing anything that showed she was a 'nurse', nor did she do anything I needed or asked her to do. But she did visit frequently asking what she could do...with 5 more shades of makeup. And...my insurance got charged $800 for her quality service ;)

  Attempting to rise from the bed for the very first time. I had no idea if I had any ability to do anything yet...

 
I was so relieved...after two knee surgeries 2 summers ago I didn't think I would be able to walk for a bit once again...but, lo and behold, the therapist got me up out of my bed to test out crutches. I was able to walk ok with the crutches and even attempt a stair :)

7 comments:

Tina said...

Holy freakin' moly! I liked the last picture the best, because you are up and moving :) Good luck and we are praying for you!!

Mindi said...

So proud of you! You are doing great...as President Hinckley would say, "Carry On!"

KickButtMommy said...

You poor girl. You have been through a lot, haven't you?

Mary Ann said...

Yikes! You are way too young to have hip surgery! I hope it heals quickly and completely. I love your porn star nurse. Hilarious! Where did you have your surgery?

The Hunzikers said...

Oh my goodness...yuck! I love your description of your nurse--at least you had something to laugh about!! Hope your recovery is going well and that you will feel better than ever now that you have had the surgery!

Allie said...

love that you are still smiling when you are trying to get out of bed for the first time!

Good luck with the recovery!

JJ said...

Ouch that looks painful! at least you didn't have your surgery in the middle of winter. Hope you heal fast!