Saturday, June 14, 2008

Do you ever wonder

Do you ever wonder why God gives you the promptings that He does? Sometime 2 1/2 years ago, we were taking family pictures on BYU campus (the picture I have posted on the sidebar) and I had this immediate prompting that I was supposed to come to graduate school. And so, I did...and I often have contemplated that prompting, thinking why in the world did I get myself into this, and what in the world was God thinking?! I've doubted many times that that prompting was not from Him, but a thought of my own. However, now that I am finished with all of the courses and am focusing on getting this thesis done, I think I've figured it out. It was for the people....not everyone, but a select few. For example, Teresa...this is she and I at our presentation a few days ago. I was supposed to meet Teresa through this program...(for lots of reasons). I was supposed to learn a whole lot of stuff...which I did. And even though a lot of people say to me, "So what did you get out of graduate school?", and I often respond, "All I gained is weight and all I lost is money", I never thought I'd say it...but,... I'm so grateful for graduate school...for a bunch of reasons :)

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I am so impressed with you, Karin. I have always wanted to get my masters or PHd

Mirm said...

I have to say that sometimes you never really understand a lot of promptings you get but the times you do figure them out it's like you said. Nothing to do with what you yourself were thinking it was all about to begin with but grateful for the experience and wouldn't trade it. Weight can be lost and money can be earned. Friendships are priceless!!!

loopyjulia said...

Wow! Look at how big your family is! I love the collage pics!

Sam and Fam said...

You gave me chills.
Isn't summer fabulous!

The Hunzikers said...

I loved this post! It helped me remember that sometimes we go and do certain things for reasons we don't know. Thanks for the post!

Jenny Hatch said...

Dear Karen, you run deep. Thanks for letting read and share in your thoughts. I love how you learn lessons and that time isn't an issue. Cheers to you my friend for following the prompting. Neal a Maxwell (my favorite person to quote) said something about how God gives us instruction and usually doesn't include and explanation. I tried to find the exact quote cuz I knew you would like it and all I can find is this, "likewise the willingness to wait for deferred explanation is a sign of real faith." Love your faithfulness.