Sunday, August 17, 2008
The Sunday Pit
In 7 years of teaching, I've never felt this way. I actually don't have the "Sunday pit", as my friend Molly described. The deep pit in your stomach on Sunday night, knowing that school is tomorrow. As a student, the pit was always "I tried hard not to do my homework on Sunday but now I'm in for it and will probably fail that test tomorrow!!!" (Or project, or paper, etc..). Now as a teacher, it's the pit that is always, "I tried hard not to work over the weekend and now I'm not ready to teach for the week!". And then the woes of wishing the weekend would have been more eventful, fun, or exciting. But it's crazy, I don't have the pit today. I started back at work this past Thursday and the students come on Wednesday and I am actually...excited. The summer has been long, and at times boring. Weird. I had a good summer though...I moved, I worked a bit on my thesis, and spent quality time with family and friends. I'm ready for a schedule now, though...ready to hit some goals of weight loss and working hard once more. I think I do much better when I am busy. Yeah for school! Sure hope I have a good bunch this year...here's praying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Good luck! I hope it is a wonderful year for you!
I have had the "Sunday Pit" for a few weeks! I am the detention director for a jr high and always feel the dread of Mondays!
I've never heard it described as "The Sunday Pitt", but I think I have that feeling. I start work Wednesday and have spent all summer just with the kids and doing nothing for work. You are such a great teacher though that I can imagine you'd be excited.
I'm prayin' that you have a good bunch too. Best of luck with the new school year. That's awesome that you are excited for it.
I can't wait for the day I don't get that Sunday pit! I get it everyday the two weeks before school starts back...mostly worrying about my next bunch of little ones and how in the world I get them to do what I want them to, how we start routines, etc etc etc. From what I hear, I have a very naughty little group, so my pit is extra large this year. I loved your post and I'm glad I get to see your blog again!! :)
Miss you more than ever! Things are very different this year. Not bad, just different. Instead of being in my room getting ready, I've put together a lunch schedule, specialty schedule, school tour schedule, a room for Mark (who is not using it now), helped work the new lunch schedule, done a.m. and p.m. bus duty and helped another music teacher w/curriculum. I'm exhausted and haven't even done anything I need too! I'll be glad when I get kids on Thursday and can just teach music.
So I am the worst friend ever! I have been meaning to email you forever and I haven't. I am so sorry. I ended up having YW that night of your party, and being rude me I didn't let you know. I really wanted to be there too. I also have been meaning to call/email you about getting together for lunch. Now school is starting (good luck by the way) and I don't know where the summer went along with our plans of getting together. Please forgive me? I really am dying to see you and catch up. What do you think would work for you? Would dinner work better since I flaked out on the summer lunch idea?
You know, now that I have Johno going off to school, I appreciate all the work and effort the teachers do. I am very thankful for teachers like you and Vicki who teach kids.
Good luck! Your kids are lucky to have you!
Post a Comment