Below is the last night before I returned home in May 1999. I attended the baptism of the sweetest lady, Gui Fu. She was genuine, and she had a testimony. It was that night I realized that the fears of my inabilities had subsided since that night in the MTC, and I had had the opportunity to teach this sweet lady the gospel.

Eleven years have passed, today, since I left to Taiwan. And now I sit here with insecurities about my inabilities to do many other things. I think that my mission really taught me about enduring, and trusting in God that all would work out. And it did. And today I reflect upon the best decision I ever made in my life-to serve a mission.
11 comments:
You are a wonderful person Karen! I'm so thankful that I work with you.
Fabulous writing. Remember the night we met? We slept in the laundry room of that house where the retreat was. It was a year or so before these pictures. So glad we've kept in touch.
I love reading your thoughts Karen. I didn't realize I had your blog address until recently and it was super fun to catch up on your life. Now I can check up on you and see what's going on more often!
I can't believe it's been soooo long! Hard to believe you left for your mission the day after Madison was born! You have come a long way and you are an amazing person! I love you!
It's so crazy how fast time flies. I'm sure you were just as amazing of a missionary as you are a teacher/daughter/aunt/friend/cousin, now. You're awesome, Karen!
Holy sha-moly! Remember all of those years dreaming of going on a mission. Now it's over, and not only is it over - it's been over for a long time! I still can't get over how long I've been back. So many great experiences to reflect on.
Happy Anniversary! Did you get to celebrate at PC Changs? Isn't that where you usually like to celebrate your mission anniversary, or am I completely off my rocker? Probably the latter. I am so happy that your mission was such an amazing experience.
Time goes by so quickly! It's good to look back and relive the amazing experiences of the past. I'm glad you had the chance (and the nerve, and the spirit) to serve such an amazing mission. Happy Anniversary!
I agree, time goes by so fast, but it is amazing to look back and see where we've come. I love this quote by Nelson Mandela, “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”
I just went to a mission reunion and it had been 15 years and it hardly seems possible. It's funny I don't think about my mission everyday but my mission has certainly influenced every day of my life...it sounds like that is how you have felt. Missions are special and that is so awesome you got to serve one!
Hey, I thought I commented on this one. I quess I didn't. Can't believe it's been 11 years. Wow!
Post a Comment