Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thankful, Day 19

I'm so thankful, for my most favorite hymn.."Abide with me; 'Tis Eventide" (#165). It has given, and continues to give, the greatest peace when I need it.
Some time ago, in the midst of preparing a Relief Society lesson, I was watching the movie, "The Other Side of Heaven". I had forgotten how much a certain clip had touched my heart before, and as the clip approached, I put down my lesson and proceeded to watch..and just feel. It did it again..it touched me again.
Since watching the clip that day, this song has become my most favorite of the hymns. I've watched it several times and still feel immensely comforted in the same way I did that day.

So this is a really ghetto video I just made, but I searched and searched for this clip online, but to no avail. The hymn mixed with the experience in this clip, I think, is amazing...and I'm thankful for the reminder that I had of this today.

I have another thing to be grateful for when it comes to the hymns. My Chinese missionary hymnbook is my most favorite souvenier of the mission. It is soft, flimsy, and so worn out that you cannot even see the title on the front cover. Each time I open and flip through it, smells densely embedded in each of the pages brings back swarms of sweet, comforting memories of people, experiences, and deep emotions.

A while ago, while teaching at the MTC, we were sitting in a meeting where the missionaries get to practice teaching their discussions to volunteer investigators. While singing the opening hymn, sharing my souvenier hymnbook with the chinese volunteer next to me, she leaned over and said, "Sister Thomas...I need a hymnbook...can I have yours?"
Gulp.
I have to admit, I said "No"...but I gave my "favorite souvenier" excuse...I hope she wasn't offended.
I just couldn't part with it. :)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Geez! Just that little clip brought tears to my eyes. I love that movie. Saying "no" was okay to say because that hymn book has alot of memories for you and always will when you open it. Great memories!

Lindsey said...

I love that hymn too. Hey, I found out the other day that in our stake we have a foreign exchange student from China. She told me that she speaks Mandarin Chinese. Isn't that what you spoke on your mission?. Anyway at her ward's Young Women in Excellence on Tuesday she bore her testimony of the Savior. She is not a member and from what I could gather she has been very involved with her host family's ward. We may need to find a way for you to have a visit with her. I bet hearing someone speak to her about the gospel in her native tongue would really help. I know your influence would be amazing!

P.S. I hope all of that made sense.

Lori said...

I think my most favorite all time hymn is How Great Thou Art. I remember my Grandma singing a lot of the hymns so they have a special meaning to me.

Cindi said...

My favorite hymn is "Be Still My Soul." I especially love the version sung a capella by Vocal Point from BYU. I love the reminder to be still and patient and know that the Lord is on your side!