Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thankful-Day 12

This past weekend, while I was in St. George, I had the chance to visit my Grandma Mildred Thomas. It has been a while since I had the chance to see her. She has been through a lot in the last few months...so much I didn't even realize.
Grandma has breast cancer.
She just finished 30 days of radiation treatments.
I just honor and love her. Every time we visit her, she always recalls events from the past-fun times that we had together, spiritual experiences that she has had, memories she hasn't forgotten. I don't think I've ever realized how good of a memory Grandma has.
I'm so grateful to call her Grandma.
My Dad and Uncle Noble gave her a blessing before we left. I felt inside an increased testimony because as the blessing was finished, with tears in her eyes (as she always has), she said,

"Thank you, Danny for that beautiful blessing. Now I'll be well."

Grandma has always had great faith. I'm so thankful for her example in my life. I read something the other day that reminded me of her...
President Joseph F. Smith, speaking of Heber C. Kimball, says,
"I was greatly impressed and moved by Heber C. Kimball's manner of praying in his family. I have never heard any other man pray as he did. He did not speak the the Lord as one afar off, but as if conversing with him face to face. Time and again I have been so impressed with the idea of the actual presence of God, while he was conversing with him in prayer, that I could not refrain from looking up to see if he were actually present and visible".
That's how my Grandma is...completely.

9 comments:

The blogging Bakers said...

Karen-you are so lucky to still have your grandma. I really miss my grandmas. I am grateful that my grandmas lived until I was an adult. I just wish that they had known my children but I know they will:) Thank you for that sweet post, your grandma sounds like a great lady.

joanne said...

That was sweet about your grandma,it sounds like she has done her job here in this life, by showing you a great example of being a strong faithful member.

Tina said...

Wow Karen! I'm glad you had a good weekend and that you were able to spend time with your grandma

Joni said...

It was fun hearing grandma's stories! I hope she is feeling better! I had fun with you!! I'm still sore!

Julie said...

I feel grateful to still have a Grandma and that my kids have a Great Grandma. I love her so much and miss her. I hope I can get down there to see her. I have not seen her in a long time.

Caroline said...

That was a very touching post.

Lindsey said...

Your grandma sounds like a wonderful lady. I have really enjoyed reading your thankful list over the last few weeks. It helps me to think of my own thankful list.

Lori said...

I love reading everything you write. You are such a tender heart for people and love your Grandma like mine. I just hope that I can be half the person that our Grandmas were.

Angie said...

I love Grandma Thomas as well. She is truely an inspiration of love and wisdom. Every time I see her she says something to uplift me!