Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thankful, Day 14-17

I'm so behind.
I'm up for the night...hopefully not the whole night, but working on getting a draft of my thesis finished for review. This is a needed break!!
Day 14: Journals
For some reason, I've been pulling out my old journals this past week...and just have been opening up to random pages. This is a picture of one of my missionary journals. I cut off all of the stamps from letters I received from friends and family around the country...it's become quite a keepsake for me.
Writing, for me, is food for the soul! It does something when I write out my thoughts, rather than just speak them. It has a healing effect!!
Maybe that's why I love it so much.
Day 15: My job

2007-2008 school year

Today at work I observed one of the teachers that I mentor at my school (A 1st grade class). I love watching little kids...I love just observing them. This little girl with amazingly huge beautiful blue eyes and lusciously long eyelashes came to the back table where I was sitting. She picked up one of the math equation cards to work on, and instead of just picking up a random card, I could hear under her little breath as she pointed at them, "Eenie meenie, minee moe, catch a tiger by the toe...". I couldn't help but smile.
Friday I was outside doing 'bus duty' and had a constant smile across my face as parents dropped their kids off...Here are some things between parent and child that I saw/heard/noticed all in the same morning--a 20 minute span of time...
"Hey! You forgot to give me a kiss!"
"I just love my dad so much" (a student says this to me after he says bye to his dad)
"Don't forget, mommy loves you"
"I can't wait to see you when you get home!"
I love my job.
Day 16: Phrases from blessings
"Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing--yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof" (D&C 19:38)
As I have been looking through some past journals this week, I have come upon serveral entries where I recorded snipets from priesthood blessings that I have received. It's a good thing that I write those thoughts down...they tend to bring comfort at times when I need them.
One particular phrase caught my attention: "All these things are promised to you...SO LIVE FOR IT"
I needed a remembrance of that tonight...I'm so thankful for those sweet phrases that have been told to me by God.
Day 17: A best friend
Over the years I have had many, many close friends....they have truly helped me throughout each moment of my life. I love confiding in people I trust, and creating a bond that I know, will last forever. I'm so thankful for my best friend, who knows me, who loves me, who has been right by my side through every experience: every success, every failure, every tender moment, everything...thank you, Lori.
I'm so grateful...for everything...but it's nice to be specific daily this month :)

6 comments:

Julie said...

I think it's fun to go back through your journals and read things you have written down. There is alot I forget so it's nice to read them and remember fun memories. I've got to do better. I find myself remembering to write in my journal like every 3 months, 6 months and sometimes a year goes by then I have to remember what happened and that's hard. I wrote in mine every day up until I had Parker then I slowed down. I told myself I would never do that, but my life got too busy. That's one of my goals to start up again. Thanks for the reminder about journals.

Lindsey said...

Ah, teaching and school. I miss the funny things and the cute things little kids do. Teaching is the best job ever! I too love your friend, Lori. She is so nice!

P.S. Good luck with your paper. We will have to go out and celebrate when you get it all finished.

Lori said...

Ok buddy...we have really got to get new pictures done. That was a definite rush to the Hinckley building that night for that one. Did I even shower?Oh my gosh there has got to be something better in the iphoto library..HA! Anyways...thank you for the post...you are the one who always remembers me! We have been thru a ton of things really. I can't believe I've known you now for 15 years. Somedays we have laughed our heads off, cried our heads off, given advice til we are blue, but every minute has been wonderful. I have learned so much from you and 15 years later you still are an amazement to me. I love the person you are and who you have become....I can just think back on all the daily funny things. I think my all time favorite is ....You think you are so hot because.... You always came up with the eye shocking ones that left me speechless. Like walking out in Walmart parking lot and you say to me... you think you are so hot because you think that guy is your gynecologist ..only to look over and see a 400 pound slimy guy bent over into his trunk with his crack hanging out. I nearly died. Then there is the Golds Gym Locker Room experience. You were at one end of the hallway and i was walking away to get changed and you called my name so I would turn around only to come face to face with a 500 pound completely naked woman with only a towel on her shoulder. I could have killed you. Where the heck do you look when she filled the whole hallway. I had never seen that much cottage cheese in one container in my life. I could see you in the background amongst her folds laughing your head off. You know those kind of things nearly put me over the edge and you love finding those things you can sit and watch me squirm and freak out! You are so funny sometimes! Thank you for being my best friend too. We have way too much fun! Love ya

Heidi said...

Your students are so lucky to have you as a teacher!! I miss you!

Heidi said...

Your students are so lucky to have you as a teacher!! I miss you!

Pyatt said...

I loved your post tonight. I am like you with my journals...I haven't been as diligent in my journal since I became a mom but I like reading back and getting nostalgic and reminding myself of different lessons I have learned. Good reminder...ps...the key on craigs list if something sits to long is lowering the price!:)