Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thankful, Day 28-30

I've decided to do a few more thankful posts to finish out November.
Thankful, Day 30
President Monson.
Today in church, as our bishop got up to close the meeting, he spoke "randomly and freely" (he said) about the importance of believing in the fact that President Monson's is our prophet--right now. And that his counsel for us and the direction he has given us is true, will not change, and that he is a constant force in our lives. I suddenly felt thankful to know that.
To know that I will never be led astray, ever.
I'm thankful for that knowledge. I feel it in my heart that President Monson is our prophet. It's been a rough change for me--not that I didn't believe he was supposed to be our prophet, but I became so attached to President Hinckley. I remember right where I was when I received an assurance that President Monson is our prophet--I was sitting on my couch watching this past conference and President Monson was giving his "Joy in the Journey" talk--and conference was closing. Right after the conference had ended, a special came on that was to highlight the life of President Monson. I cried as I listened. I felt the assurance and testimony I needed to know that he is our prophet.
I'm so thankful for him.
Thankful, Day 29
Being thankful.
I've loved having a purposeful blogging session every day this month, and it's almost sad that the month is over. Thinking about something that I am thankful for every day has made me realize how blessed I really am in my life. I'm thankful that every single day I am now encouraged to get up and think deeply about the blessings I have.
Being more thankful has made me aware of how much I really do have.
Thankful, Day 28
The holiday season.
I put up my tree today. I suddenly realized how quick 2008 has gone. And then I realized, too, that I sure waste a lot of time forgetting to love and serve others throughout the year. I think, too, how quick I am to forget to make room for the Savior in my "inn" when December 25th passes and we move onto a new year.
Suddenly it's December once again, and I am wondering what I should do more of to make room for the Savior in my life.
I only hope that as I have become more thankful for things throughout the month of November, that I can become more thankful for HIM throughout the month of December.
Now, what am I going to post daily throughout this new month during this holiday season? I think I have an idea...

3 comments:

Julie said...

Karen, that was really nice to read and gave me a good feeling and a desire to be more thankful for Him. I too need to make more room in my life for the Savior. I also need to think about Him more. I feel when I am closer to Him my life seems to stay on the right road and my life seems to have more purpose. Thanks for your post and reminding all of us about the Savior and how we need Him in our lives.

Joni said...

I ditto what julie wrote! Thank you so much for your sweet spirit and for the reminder. It's been great to read all your posts this month!

Shannon said...

Karen, I have so enjoyed reading your "thankful" posts. I think so often we lose sight of the simple things that bring us joy, or teach us a lesson. I'm grateful to be reminded of being thankful for those things.
Love ya, Karen!