Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thankful-Day 7

Yesterday was my last day of taking Effexor-a medication for depression/anxiety. I've included my thoughts of coming off of this med in several posts, but since I'm posting my thankfulness every day--this definately is a tops. I've been on this med for several years...Let me just give the top ten reasons why I'm coming off of it, and what it has been like for me.
1. I have felt completely "blah" for a while. The doctor said it's because my nerve endings are shot, and it definately means it's time to come off of it.
2. Whenever I miss taking it, (which, by the way you can't miss it for more than 2 days) because I forgot, or, I ran out of money to buy a new prescription, my brain makes this "crinkling" sound off and on that in time soon gives me major migraine headaches.
3. When I miss taking it, I have major weird psycho dreams, which also makes me more tired in the day because the night was filled with 49 million dreams that made me toss and turn!!
4. When I miss taking it, I feel like I am not on the earth...like I'm not in my body. Does that even make sense?
5. I'm sick of relying on meds to help me...when, it really isn't doing the job it should.
6. I've gained too much weight from being on it...can I blame meds for that? :)
7. I shake and have the "niggies" more when I'm on it.
8. I feel like a zombie on it...I don't feel like I'm myself-I've been withdrawn since I've been on it, and have felt like I 'tune out' of everything.
9. Since the doctor has been weening me off 37.5 mg at a time, I have started to feel the spirit more each week. I feel like I can pay attention in church, I can set goals more and work for them--and I don't give up after a day of doing them. I seem to feel like a real person again....does that even make sense? It's like the meds have taken over my life, and I am now reclaiming it once again..as MY life.
10. I will be $150 richer each month. :)
I am thankful for this day....and I hope that I can make it on my own without the meds. I already feel like I am a new person. :)

6 comments:

Shorty said...

Wow! Karen, I am so proud of you for weaning yourself off your meds! That must feel like such a wonderful accomplishment to you! I'm sure that you will do just fine without them, since you got off them so slowly. And, wow, you can have $150 more to go shopping with!!!

Joni said...

I too know the feelings you get when missing a day of that medicine! It makes you crazy! That sucks it cost you $150. Mine is only 20. Glad you are feeling better! ok now get off the puter and lets go swimming!!

Carrie and Jeff said...

Wow, you're amazing Karen. I had no idea. That cannot be easy...good for you.

Shelley said...

Karen, I am so proud of you! That is an amazing accomplishment, probably one of the hardest things you have done in your life! Here's to the start of your NEW life! :-)

Julie said...

You can do it! Im glad you are feeling better. Hey you can buy more shirts. I feel like Im on chocolate medication and can't get off of that. Im seriously addicted to treats and can't stay away. They make me happy like no other meds. HELP!!!!!!!

Angie said...

That's awesome! You are such an inspiration to me in all you do! I'm proud of you for doing something that is hard now b/c you know it will be better in the long run. LOVE YA!