Monday, December 15, 2008

Let Him In, Day 15

Thankful
I was at a class program today and cried-in front of my kids. I've never been touched like that before at work.
As a class we mentor/peer tutor one of the students in the special needs class at our school. His name is Cory...and he is an amazing little boy. He has several mental handicaps that prevent him from a lot of things--but he has the biggest heart and spirit I have even seen/known in my life.
At the end of their program they showed a video they had put together of pictures of all the kids throughout the year put together with a song from Josh Groban....play it while you read along (This was the only version I could find that didn't have a cheesy powerpoint/slide show of the song).
That's when the tears just flowed.
Not only because of the pictures, but because I could hear the students (there are about 8 of them) saying to each other, "Look...that's you...do you see you in the picture!?" They were so excited to see themselves...and to see each other. Each time the video highlighted one of the students in the class, Cory would run over to that student, pat him/her on the knee and say, "Are you looking at it? That's you!"
I was so overcome with emotion, I almost couldn't handle it anymore.
But I stayed.
Gosh, this song hit me and was like perfectly tuned to my emotions. I'm so thankful for many things. I'm so thankful I was able to go to that today...it comforted my heart. I felt God in my heart as I watched our tender, sweet, Cory and his beautiful class. I think Cory "Let Him In" for me today....

4 comments:

Shorty said...

Wow, what a touching story; I bet the kids could feel your tender heart and felt very close to you!

Julie said...

oh my gosh! That video was so sad. It was hard to see those kids with just skin and bones. It makes you feel gratful for what you have and wish you could somehow help them.

Lori said...

These things are so touching to your heart because you have such a tender compassion for little kids and those around you with not enough, for people who hurt, for people who struggle have problems. You always think the best of even those who are unkind or cruel. You are just amazing and I am so blessed to have you as an example in my life.

joanne said...

That made me realize how grateful I am to live in a place with beauty, freedom, peace.A safe place for my kids to learn, eat, have a warm place to fall at night.
I loved working with special needs kids. Some days were so challenging, but in one second their sweetness or a simple accomplisment they achieved would overshadow all the struggles of working with them.They definetly help keep their classmates grounded,teach them patience, love and gratitude.