Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Let Him In, Day 2

A mother's touch
Today while I was at work, we were sitting in an assembly and one of the teachers went to go grab a chair to sit down by her class. As she passed by the class sitting in front of hers, she walked by her son that was sitting on the end of the row.
Just briefly, she rubbed his back and then went to sit with her class.
I watched this boy-a 5th grader, look over at his mom and give her the warmest, biggest smile ever. And I think it made his day.
Five minutes later, one of my students came up to me and said she was having a hard time concentrating-that her eyes were hurting and her brain was spinning. What do you say to that? Before I could say, "Ah...put a cold towel on it!" (our family's favorite phrase when you think the other person is faking it) I briefly remembered the 5th grader and his warm smile...and I reacted different to my little student.
We talked, right in the middle of the assembly...for like 5 minutes. In those short seconds with her, I found out that her brother had escaped and ran away from Juvenille detention and is on the loose somewhere--and nowhere to be found. She's worried sick.
I'm glad I listened. And to my friend teacher...thanks. That sweet mother's touch you gave today reminded me that I need to be more loving to my students.

5 comments:

Jana Whetton said...

Hey Karen CUTE blog! I love reading your blog it’s what I always need to hear. My Christmas cards I designed them and had a gal that lives close by do them for me. She is on the Digital Scrapbook Memories site with Shell and I. I usually do them but tired of fighting with the other two =) I picked her because they let you have the rights to your own pictures so you can print away! And they are starting out and Jamie is staying home with the two year old. And on the other Christmas card I did? Ya liked that? I took their pictures up at Snowbasin and they are my well I am a cousin but they call me Aunt Jana. They just let me do what I wanted and well they were done with kids and so I did the card for a joke and they said PRINT it! So I did!
Hope all is well

Cindi said...

Good for you! Kyrie thinks you are a loving teacher! :)

Julie said...

I should try that with my kids. Thanks for posting that.

Lori said...

You are one of the best teachers I've ever known. That's why the kids love you so much you are always so attentive to them and trying to see what makes them tick. I wish I would have had a teacher like you. I didn't even speak until about Jr High I was so scared of my teachers. I think a few of them should have been put in jail, they were old and still teaching old school when I was there. I remember one teacher, Mrs. Cox, she was so mean and a belittler. Years later after I graduated and was working at the pharmacy back home she came in. She didn't recognize me but I did her. Sadly, she had had throat cancer and had a box attached to her throat so she could speak. In order to get sound out of it she had to put her finger over the hole in it so that the sound could be made. I remember my first thought was...well its exactly what you deserve for all the horrible things you did to kids. Maybe I need to blog about some loving thoughts this month too.

Shannon said...

This totally gave me chills as I read it. What a great reminder of how important it is to listen. Thanks for the sharing that experience.