Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Let Him In, Day 23

Joseph Smith, Jr.
I always seem to remember just on the day of--that it is Joseph Smith's birthday (Dec. 23). Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the holidays, that I forget such an important man.
If anyone has shown me how to "Let Him In", it is this man.
While I served as a missionary in Taiwan, every time that I testified of him, I was completely reassured of the truthfulness of his mission, his life, his purpose. I've never ever doubted this amazing man.
One experience in particular was when we were visiting a lady who was a christian, but not of our faith. She told us that she would be happy to listen to the message, but after we shared the first discussion with her, she said that she didn't want us to give her a Book of Mormon. It hurt...because she was so accepting of Christ--I was a little confused.
When we later came back to visit, we decided just to sing with her--she talked about how much she loved to sing at her church services. We found some familiar christian songs in the hymnbook and sang for about a half hour. My companion at the time loved to sing-and so did I, so we were always singing, harmonizing, and singing with people. We decided to sing "Joseph Smith's First Prayer", and while we sang I showed her this picture. We first spoke of his experience, his vision, and I asked her to look at the picture as we sang.
I won't ever forget that night. I can see it right now-I can smell the smells in her house, see the look in her eyes, feel the pounding in my heart. Tears came to her eyes, tears flowed freely from ours.
She wasn't baptized.
But the feeling I felt still resides with me today. I love Joseph Smith, and I am so thankful that he Let Him In to my life...I'm forever in debt to him.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I love that you took the time to go on a mission. It was really hard for me while you were gone without my friend around to talk to like I wish I could have... but it was so good for you. I don't think even though you came home exhausted, you will ever regret a day you were gone!