Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Let Him In, Day 24

Chinese
Tonight I was able to take part in helping translate a priesthood blessing from Chinese to English.
As I drove to the home of this lady, Sister Hong, I prayed that all of the early mornings I spent on my mission, all of the 'gift of tongues' experiences I had would come into effect tonight, with her. It was such a great experience. I have to say that while I was translating the blessing, I did feel the gift of tongues.
I don't know how to explain it, but I was reminded of how much I love the Chinese language.
I remember feeling that on my mission--to me, the 'gospel' words I learned to speak meant so much to me...one...because they were words of a testimony that I already had, like prayer, atonement, Heavenly Father, gospel...and two...because learning a new language for the first time and learning gospel words as my FIRST words in that language made me love the language even more.
Make sense?
Well we spent about 45 minutes talking, first...and I translated. We talked about 2 accidents she had been in, and the problems that came with them. I felt frustrated--like I didn't quite know if I understood her correctly...and felt like my Chinese was even more rusty than I thought. But then, the blessing started...and my tongue was loosed. That sweet feeling came into my heart and came out my mouth in the tone of my voice and the words just came....
I don't think my words were perfect...but they were right.
Tonight it just felt good to be reconnected with Chinese again...and reminded of a part of my testimony that I gained in Taiwan. I was reminded of the sweetness of the language, and the blessings I have received from serving a mission. I was also reminded of the joy that comes when you can help someone else...and only I could help her in that room tonight...I was the only one who spoke Chinese there to help her so that she could understand God's words for her...and it felt so good.
I love Chinese. I love how it Let Him Into my life so much and continues to do so.

2 comments:

Summer said...

What an awesome experience! That is too cool! I love your blog it is so inspiring and uplifting! Karen you are awesome! Here's to 09 and graduation for you right?

Lori said...

Chinese is still a big part of you and who you are. I'm always impressed whenever we are out and about and you run into a chinese person how your whole demeanor seems to change when you strike up a conversation with them....I love listening to you talk to them even tho I have no idea what you are saying.