Thursday, October 22, 2009

12 years to date

It's amazing how quick time passes. It's been 12 years today that I left on my mission. I remember it like it was just yesterday--October 22, 1997-headed to the MTC. I can't believe it's been that long.
I was thinking today about what my mission did for my life.
Everything.
If I think about my most favorite memories, they would have to be with people. Of course--the sights in Taiwan were amazing. However, I think what I left with was a love for the people there, for my many companions, and a gratefulness for my friends and family that outstretched their arms to me and uplifted my spirits while I served.
And by how much I learned about God and how good He is...how good life is...and how good the experiences I had were.
I'm so thankful...to the brim of thankfulness.
Here are some of my memories with the people I loved and the memories I cherished.
Last, but not least, I think today it's important to thank the people who made my mission possible. Money has always been tight for me...and my parents were there to help support me on my mission...Thanks so much, Mom & Dad. I love you!!!And again...one other last thing...one huge thing. While serving in my first area, I received a letter from my mom that told me that my sister Shelley & brother-in-law Gary had come forward to pay for my mission to ease their financial burden, and to ease mine. Honestly, I was speechless. I'm so thankful--words can't express...for if it weren't for them, I would not have been able to have served.
Thanks, Shelley & Gary! I'm eternally grateful.

4 comments:

The Brown Family said...

What fun pictures from your mission! My Taiwan pictures are a little different...lots of KTV and chicken house kind of pics!

I'm grateful for your love of Taiwan and the Chinese people, I think that's why you are such a great zhong wen lau shi.

Love you
Kim

The Brown Family said...

oops, a spelling error: lao shi

Traci said...

i bet this post was going down memory lane for you!
such a sweet tribute to your mission and your helping family!

Jenny Hatch said...

Goodness, this one got me tearing up. I love your heart Karen. I love your graciousness and grateful attitude and I love that you served Him in Taiwan. Plus...didn't I go into the MTC that exact day? October 22, 1997? YES! Have we chatted about that before?